Indigestion and acid reflux or heartburn is one of the common symptoms which appears during pregnancy period around 30 to 50% pregnant women suffers from this situation. It starts during the first trimester and gets more intense in the third trimester.
What are the mains reasons which cause indigestion and acid reflux?
1.Growing baby: Growing baby starts pressurizing the stomach from second trimester.
2.Hormonal changes: increase level of progesterone produced by the placenta in the body slows down the digestion process and also relaxes the opening of the stomach towards the oesophagus.
Main symptoms of indigestion and acid reflux
- Burning sensation in chest to neck area
- Regurgitation: food and acid coming to your mouth
- Abdominal pain and discomfort
- Feeling of nausea
These remedies are on the basis of my personal experience, because each body and each pregnancy is different some of these remedies may work or not, but i will recommend you to at least try all of them and figure out which remedy works better for you
- Eating frequent and smaller meal after every two hours
- Apple: Eat one apple
- Carrot: Eat carrot length at least one carrot of 20 cm.
- Brisk walk: Take long walk for at least half an hour, I always found that brisk walk of 45 minutes or 4000 steps reduce or lowers down my acidity during my third trimester.
- Sleeping on left side: try sleeping on two pillows in left hand side direction stops food and acids coming to your mouth.
- Cold milk: drink cold milk one hour before bed.
- Avoid eating fried food during night time
- Dinner at least 3 hour before your regular sleep time
- As a last resort you can also use prescribed medicine given by your doctor
In my case, eating three hour before followed by 45 min brisk walk and cold milk helps in reducing night time acidity, eating carrot and apple helps me in reducing daytime acidity.