Lion’s mane mushroom (Hericium erinaceus of family Hericiaceae) grows on both living and dead broadleaf trees such as oak (Quercus) and beech (Fagus) (1). It has been used for centuries as a food source and herbal medicine in traditional Chinese medicine. The given articles describe Lion’s mane mushroom recipe along with health benefits.
Various pharmacological properties of Lion’s mane mushroom are antioxidant, antitumor, antimutagenic, hypolipidemic, hemagglutinating, antimicrobial, antiaging and immunomodulatory properties (2,3).
Lion’s mane mushroom due to its rich nutritional content like phenolic acid, fatty acids, polysaccharides and a bioactive substance known as hericenone B may be used for various health benefits.
1. Can treats hypertension by reducing the blood pressure
Lion’s mane mushroom due to its high phenolic and antioxidant content can be a good source to reduce the blood pressure thus treats hypertension (4).
2. Lion’s mane mushroom is a good source of antibacterial agent
Compounds like hericenones and hericerins in the mushroom are very effective against pathogenic microorganisms (5).
Two main compounds erinacines and hericenones in the lion,s mane mushroom promotes nerve regeneration. Thus protect from neurodegenerative diseases, like ischemic stroke, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and depression (6).
4. For healthy gut eat Lion’s mane mushroom
The polysaccharide of the mushroom protects gastrointestinal disorders. It reduces colonic inflammation and alters intestinal flora by increasing the vital bacteria (7).
5. Selenium rich polysaccharides of Lion’s mane mushroom strengthens the bone
Thus improves bone mineral density and bone mineral content and inhibits osteoclastic differentiation that forms osteoporosis (8, 9).
6. Lion’s mane mushroom and weight loss
Eating Lion’s mane mushroom helps in improving the metabolism rate of the body. Research on animal model proves that Lion’s mane mushroom with a high-fat diet for 28 days a significant decrease in body weight gain, fat weight, and serum and hepatic triacylglycerol levels. therefore for those who are looking for a weight-loss food should definitely consider Lion’s mane mushroom.
Lion’s mane mushroom recipe
One of the best things about mushrooms is that they are easy to cook and very healthy also. here are some of the easy Lion’s mane mushroom recipe. Well this mushroom is pretty big in size almost the size of a fist, therefore, cutting the mushroom is necessary or small mushrooms can be cooked directly.
1. Lion’s mane mushroom saute with garlic
- Olive oil
- Chopped garlic
- Chopped green onions
- Wash the lion’s mane mushroom gently to remove any dirt. Cut carefully around 3 or 4 crosssection parts of the mushroom.
- take a pan and heat it on a medium flame for 1 min, then add olive oil and butter and heat it for 1 to mins.
- Add finely chopped onion and garlic in the pan and saute for 1 min.
- Now add lion’s mane mushroom and cook each side for nearly 4 mins until the whole side turns golden brown.
- Add parsley, pepper, and salt to taste and cook for one min.
2. Simple saute of Lion’s mane mushroom
Simple saute of lions mane mushroom with smoked vegetables is also one of the healthy recipes to follow.
- Wash and cut gently Lion’s mane mushroom in circular form.
- Heat a pan for 1 min and add little olive oil
- After heating the oil for 1 to 2 mins, add butter
- After 2 mins of heating add the lion’s mane mushroom
- Fry it till it becomes golden in color from both the sides
- Sprinkle little salt and pepper and serve it with smoked vegetables.