Enoki mushrooms scientific name is Flammulina velutipes belongs to the family Physalacriaceae. This mushroom is mainly popular because of its yummy taste and therefore its world production is very high and stands 4th in terms of production and consumption. Enoki mushrooms side effects and their health benefits are as follows.
These mushrooms are not only good in taste but also possess myriad health benefits. These health benefits are mainly due to the presence of compounds β-glucan and fatty acid complexes, phenolic, flavonoids, and Sesquiterpenoids and Velutin.
Some of the common health benefits of this mushroom are
- Helps in lowering the cholesterol level. Mainly decomposes the cholesterol present in the serum and liver.
- β-glucan and fatty acid complexes of this mushroom help in the absorption of fat thus reduce the weight of the body.
- Consumption of this mushroom also prevents constipation as it has polysaccharides (glucan) which act as a probiotic.
- Another unique benefit of the enoki mushroom is that it is rich in selenium. This element sesenium helps in the protection of cells from free radicals. Therefore detoxifies the body and other metabolic activities.
- Besides the above points, other health benefits of enoki mushrooms are an immune booster, keeps the brain and gut healthy,y and are anti-inflammatory in nature.
Enoki mushrooms side effects
As the enoki mushrooms are one of the largest consumed mushrooms in the world as is mainly marked as medicinal mushrooms and functional food. Therefore it is very important to examine or study its potentially harmful effects or side effects before consuming.
1. Mushroom poisoning
Enoki mushrooms may cause mushroom poisoning termed as Rhabdomyolysis or in other words striated muscle (1). Studies suggest enoki mushrooms help in lowering cholesterol. But consumption of enoki mushrooms also lowers the white blood cells and lymphocyte counts. therefore may cause myo and cardiotoxicity.
2. Hypersensityvity reactions
Persons who is having food allergy to egg or other types of proteins should avoid eating enoki mushrooms and its dishese. As it may cause allergic reactions an ditching in oral cavity (2).
3. Anaphylaxis or allergic reactions
Enoki mushroom can cause severe allergy or anaphylaxis due to enokitake allergens. Therefore persons having food allergy should take precaurions before consuming any enoki mushroom dishes (3).
4.Lowers the blood sugar
All these above findings contribures to the basic understanding of the complex balance between the benefits and side effects of the enoki mushroom consumption.
As we all know enoki mushrooms helps in lowering the blood sugar level therefore excess consumption should be avoided by those who are having low sugar issues.
5. Listeria infections
Always consume fresh mushrooms and should check thoroughly if there any decay or abnormalities. A recent food safety news published on May 31, 2021 by News desk stated that enoki mushroom packets of a certain brand gets contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Thes packets may not look or small bad but still having the potential of causing serious and life threatning infections. Listeria infections can induce vomiting, nausea, persistance fever, muscle ache and headache.
Therefore it is always necessary to check the expiray date on the packets of the enoki or any other mushrooms before buying.
Again excess consumption of any superfood or funtional food is never good for health. Therefore it is sugegsted that always eat these food in a balanced way.