Aloe vera is a plant with versatile medicinal uses. Each and every part is used for some types of medicinal benefits. The plant is used in Ayurvedic, homeopathic, and also allopathic medicine system. Some of the medicinal properties of aloe vera are antioxidant, aphrodisiac, antifungal, antiseptic, antimicrobial, and antifungal. Other than this the aloe vera also has skin healing and cosmetic properties. So the point of discussion is whether aloe vera good for skin?
Some of the skin healing compounds are
- Minerals: Aloe vera contains different types of minerals like calcium, copper, iron, potassium, sodium, and zinc. Many of them are useful in the form of antioxidants.
- Enzymes: aloe vera is also rich in enzymes like aliiase, alkaline phosphate, amylase, catalase, cellulase, lipase, and peroxidase. These minerals act as an anti-inflammatory agent and can be applied externally to the skin (2)
- Saponins: Aloe vera also contains glycoside as saponin and acts as. A cleansing and antiseptic for the skin (1).
- Vitamins: It also contains many types of vitamins A, B, C, E, folic acid, and B12 which acts as antioxidants thus scavenges free radicals present in the skin.
Aloe vera benefits for skin
1. Protective against radiation
The gel extracted from aloe vera are good for soothing the skin and protects against radiation damage (3).
2. Acts as a moisturizer
Mucopolysaccharides present in aloe vera helps in binding moisture into the skin. It stimulates fibroblast which produces the collagen and elastin fibers making the skin more elastic and less wrinkled (1).
3. Anti-aging effects of aloe vera
Aloe vera helps in the synthesis of elastin and collagen. Other minerals present in aloe vera like zinc also effective in reducing the wrinkles.
4. Antiseptic effect
Compounds like saponins, lupeol, salicylic acid, and cinnamomic acids, etc present in aloe vera inhibit microorganism growth and thus effective against fungal and bacterial exposure (3).
5. Relief from itching and blisters
Vitamins like B complex and C present in the aloe vera gel helps in soothing the skin and protects it against itching and blisters (4).
6. Acne treatment
The antibacterial property of aloe vera along with its minerals and vitamin-rich gels helps in diminishing the rigorousness of acne (4)